Family pets poisoned by anti-freeze!

Thursday, 3 May 2018

Family pets poisoned by anti-freeze! thumbnailTommy and Asha relax together in happier times.

BALLYCASTLE woman Stephanie Kirkpatrick has issued a stark warning to cat owners in the local area after having to get her beloved pet cat, Tommy  put to sleep after a suspected poisoning.
Stephanie and son Dylan, who live in the Whitehall Avenue area of the town, first noticed their cats  acting strangely last weekend.
Stephanie said: "Tommy had been a wee stray cat my sister found near her work, we brought him here and he got on well with our cat, Asha, so we give him a home.  Sadly we didn't even get to keep him a year.
“He just loved playing with Asha, he never would have went very far.  On Saturday we noticed that neither of them were too keen on their food, they weren't drinking much either and the same on Sunday.
“I took them to the vet in Dervock and at first she thought they maybe had an infection and give them some anti-biotics.  The following day they seemed no better.  Tommy couldn't even stand and Asha wasn't herself either.  We went back to the vet where some tests were ran and she confirmed that both cats had consumed anti-freeze."
The only conclusion drawn is that they had been poisoned by the anti-freeze and Tommy wasn't going to make it.
“The vet thought the kindest thing to do was to let Tommy go," said Stephanie.  She continued: "The thing we found strange is that there was more anti-freeze in Asha's system that Tommy's, but she continues to fight."
Stephanie said there are a lot of cats and cat lovers in Whitehall Avenue and her cats never wandered very far from home.  She said: "We are not sure if they have been poisoned intentionally but I want to warn people to keep a close eye on their pets. And if they have things like anti-freeze or anything else that could be harmful to animals, I would ask they keep it out of the way.
“Tommy and Asha were very much home bodies, they wouldn't have went far. Even if my son got on the bus, they would walk across the road with him and come back home.  Dylan is breaking his heart, he and Tommy were so close, he would have lay at the bottom of Dylan's bed for as long as he could.
“It's heartbreaking to have lost Tommy in such a cruel way, but we are holding out hope on better test results for Asha."


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete